Sunday, October 5, 2008

Mainland China and Shenzhen


It is now Sunday evening, October 5th and we have just settled into our accomodations at the Grand View Hotel in Shenzhen http://www.szgvhotel.cn/en/hotel_info.htm . This is where we will reside for the next six days before moving onto Beijing, next weekend.

I look forward to meeting up with old friends and new faces at both the ISSC and Shenzhen Concord College campuses. Rick and I had a wonderful time working with many of these teachers during a summer PD session at U de Moncton this past summer. The schools are located only a few blocks away from our hotel, which will make for a nice morning stroll. Hopefully the weather cooperates for us, as while I type this posting, we are experiencing somewhat of a mini-typhoon outside.

The schools here in Shenzhen bring back special memories for both of us as we really enjoyed working with the staffs and being in the classrooms with the students. I've always said that Shenzhen is a hidden gem here in China. You could compare it to Orlando, Florida as it is accustomed to mild temperatures, surrounded by palm trees, and numerous attractions.

We are now preparing to depart for one the greatest restaurants that I have ever eaten at, "Gypsys" which serves Australian Cuisine and is located in the International District known as Shekou. Mmmmmm...I can almost taste the famous "reef and beef".

Anyway, stay tuned for the next blog update which will probably come tomorrow after we spend our day at the schools.

No comments: